The Baroque château in Jaroměřice nad Rokytnou is one of the most massive works of architecture from the first half of the eighteenth century in this country and Europe as a whole. It ranks among the most popular historical landmarks in the Vysočany region. A Renaissance manor was built at the site of today’s château in the sixteenth century. The building underwent a Baroque reconstruction under the most prominent owners of the Jaroměřice domain, the Questenbergs, in 1700-1737. The French château gardens were established at the same time along with a park in the English style. At the height of its fame, Jaroměřice nad Rokytnou was a centre of cultural life organised locally by Jan Adam Questenberg (1678-1752). The town at the time boasted a library, gallery, theatre and its own band. The bandmaster of the château ensemble was the well-known Czech composer František Václav Míča, who wrote the first Czech opera, a work entitled The Founding of Jaroměřice. After the family died out in 1752, the quickly declining domain passed to the related Kounice family and then to the Wrbna-Freudenthals. The château was nationalised after the war and opened to the public in 1947. It is currently under the administration of the National Heritage Institute.
Today, visitors to the château can enjoy the renovated Baroque residence with nineteenth century interiors. Individual rooms are furnished to match their former function. Musical instruments and furniture related to the musical life at the château are on display as a reminder of its famous musical past. The nearby Church of St Margaret, built along with the château in the spirit of the High Baroque, also makes for an interesting visit.